We ask that you always call ahead to make an appointment before bringing your sick child to HealthPark Pediatrics. This will prevent long waits for your family needing to be worked into our schedule versus you having a dedicated appointment time and a shorter wait.
We are prepared to see any sick child who needs to be examined that day, however when possible we encourage you to call our office early in the day to request a same-day appointment with the next available provider.
Although we will make every effort to schedule your child’s sick visit with the provider of your choice, the schedule may not always permit this. Our primary goal is to get your child into the office, seen by the doctor and on the road to recovery as quickly as possible.
Reasons to Schedule a Sick Visit
Determining whether a visit to the pediatrician is needed can be difficult, but you know your child better than anyone so we encourage you to trust your instincts.
Sick visits can be used to treat and evaluate a variety of symptoms from bacterial and viral infections, pain, rashes and other common illnesses. If your child has any of the symptoms below, please schedule an appointment right away:
- 100.4°F or higher for children under 3 months old
- 101.0 °F or higher for children 3 to 6 months old
- 103.0 °F or higher for children over 6 months old
- 104.0 °F or higher for children of any age
- Fever and lethargy that persists after taking fever-reducing medication
- Fever that lasts more than 3 consecutive days with or without an obvious source of infection, such as cold symptoms
- Fever and sore throat lasting more than 24-48 hours
- Fever in a child with compromised immunity
- Fever in conjunction with severe pain
- Fever accompanied by pain when urinating
- Fever accompanied by headache, stiff neck or red or purple-colored patches on the skin
- Fever following a trip overseas
- Difficulty breathing
- Refusal to eat
- Febrile seizure
- Signs of dehydration such as dry mouth, changes in the frequency of urination or fewer wet diapers
Schedule a Sick Visit
HealthPark Pediatrics offers sick visits by appointment Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:20 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to noon. Urgent visits may be scheduled after hours on weekdays between 5:30-6:30 p.m. To schedule an appointment, call 919-896-7066. This number can also be used after hours to reach our dedicated nurse triage line.